Steel casting is a procedure of mixing raw steel with other metals creating an alloy which is believed to be way more durable and tougher than the actual steel. Generally iron is allowed to mix within a mold containing liquid steel where the maximum carbon content is approximately 0.75 percent.
Now a question might just crop in your head why cast steel is needed and what for? Cast steels come to rescue in the industries where cast iron fails to provide shock resistance. Cast steels are used as various machine parts like the washing machine or automobiles and almost on all mechanical devices.
Steel casting is generally carried out in the casting industries. The steel casting foundry is a factory that is responsible in manufacturing steel casting.
Technical Procedures of Steel Casting
Steel casting procedures includes five steps which are as follows:
- Pattern Making: The very first step in steel casting in the steel casting foundry is making the pattern of the steel casts. Proper Calculations are carried out in this step to ensure the patterns or the core boxes are well made.
- Core Making: In this step, proper project and designing is done. The Cores need to be measured accurately so that is the reason why wood clay or plastics are often used. But prior to that the patterns are sculpted in a three dimensional (3D) shape.
- Mold Creation: The third step that is followed in the steel casting foundry is creating the molds. Molds are just like the imprints which are used to give shape to the liquid steel. A two piece non-destructible mold made of metal is formed for continuous usages.
- Creating the Actual Steel Casts: In this process, the liquefied steel is poured into the mold already created in the previous stage. After pouring the molten steel, the steel is left to cool down so that the steel can take up the exact shape of the mold causing the steel cast creation.
- Final Setting: In the final setting of the procedure, the liquid steel which was left to cool down is carefully taken out from the mold. After the cast metal object is removed from the mold, it is fetted. The fetting procedure includes cleaning of the molding materials that might have come out along with the casts. Also, the rough edges are smoothened.
Therefore, these are the basic steps that are followed in the entire steel casting foundry all over the world. Steel castings have proven to be one of the best inventions that are meant to support the shock resistance of the iron parts.
Considering the various advantages of the steel casts, it is widely used throughout the world.